[erlang-questions] Why is erlc so quick to start?

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Mon Jan 5 23:07:29 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
> I added all those arguments to rebar3's escript and seems to be a
> consistent speedup as expected, dropping from 0.6s to 0.3s for a run
> that doesn't do anything but print the help.

Are you certain that nothing will break or no plugin will be
constrained by that? If not, we should consider it for rebar 2.x as
well.

> Can't say that my eyes see much of a difference though ;). But no
> reason not to keep it in.

Well, it depends on what response times your other interactions with
the machine in front of you have. Icon animations and other solutions
were implemented to signal that it's pointless to click again and one
has to wait for the action to be completed.

On the command line it _definitely_ has to be under .5 or .4 seconds
to not disrupt, so going from .6 to .3 is very noticeable difference.