[erlang-questions] Why is erlc so quick to start?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Jan 5 11:44:19 CET 2015

On 01/05/2015 10:56 AM, Joe Armstrong wrote:
> To make things faster you can
>
>     1) Hand tune your application to use less than 75 modules
>         In my book (shameless plug) Appendix C - I've cut this down to four
>         modules - BUT It's NOT the OTP system. So the standard libraries
>         don't work - the book version loaded a simple program in 0.02 seconds
>        (vs 1.13   seconds on the same machine for erl)

Yes that's what I want to experiment with for erlc. I do not think it
needs most of the OTP system to compile a file. I hope it yields
interesting results.

> The "default assumption" when we built Erlang was that the system once
> started never stops - so trimming the odd second of the startup time
> was never considered. Amortise the startup time over a few years and
> the odd second doesn't matter.

That's perfectly understandable for a long running system. Not so much
for a compiler. It's actually quite funny how Erlang compiles many
projects faster than it boots. :-)

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu