[erlang-questions] Erlang package manager

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Sun Jan 4 11:39:13 CET 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 7:10 PM, Bjorn-Egil Dahlberg wrote:

> > Why not integrate it as subcommands in 'erl', as we already have a
> > distinctive 3-letter CLI slot occupied in $PATH? Seriously.
>

> I don't want to pollute erl more than necessary. It's not pretty as
> it is now.

To avoid namespace pollution, we could use a short command prefix, but
I don't really mind a separate tool in $PATH, as long as it's not
called erlang-package-manager, so I'll stop arguing for erl
subcommands but still address your concerns below.

> Also, older erl won't understand PM commands.

So? Older erl also might not understand a new option that only exists
in a newer version.

> A separate gear escript will be is just fine, clean and separate. If
> we want could introduce something like "erl --gear <command>
> <options>" which would do the same thing as the escript but I'm not
> a big fan of this idea.

This idea does indeed sound bad, and my suggestion was more like
"erl pin", "erl source", etc.