[erlang-questions] Garbage Collection, BEAM memory and Erlang memory

Roberto Ostinelli roberto@REDACTED
Fri Feb 20 15:11:20 CET 2015

Dear List,
Given the amount of answers I got in this post, I want to follow up and
give some additional information.

After struggling for quite a while, I just did a comparison between using
SSL connections vs standard TCP connections.
The results are quite impressive.

This is the diagram of memory evolution for a system under load, with SSL:
https://cldup.com/cNOc8hS004-2000x2000.png

This is the same system, but without SSL:
https://cldup.com/sx3RrdMR8o-3000x3000.png

You can clearly see that using standard TCP connections the system is
extremely stable.
Using SSL connections, on the other hand, results in RAM memory having very
erratic behavior that ends up blowing up the node.

Not sure what to do with this information, except that I'm going to use a
SSL termination (HAProxy or ELB) and have my Erlang node run without SSL.

If anyone is curious just ping me.

Best,
r.