[erlang-questions] [ANN] TryErl: run Erlang code online

Alexander Petrovsky askjuise@REDACTED
Wed Feb 11 14:13:23 CET 2015

Maybe someone will be interesting to see at my version "tryerl" -
https://github.com/juise/sherly.

I think will be interesting to combine tryerl and sherly, do smth like
tryclj.com

> How is the playpen sandbox different from docker?
> I know that docker is not 100% secure but it is very popular so the chance
> for security holes to be found might be higher.
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Roberto Aloi <prof3ta@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> Awesome stuff. I would consider migrating the tryerlang.org tutorials to
>> your sandbox, to remove many of its current limitations.
>> Is command evaluation available through an API?
>>

>> On 11 February 2015 at 13:24, Сергей Прохоров <seriy.pr@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm glad to announce a service, which allow to run arbitrary Erlang code
>>> from your browser. For now it is there:
>>>
>>> http://tryerl.seriyps.ru/
>>>
>>> How it works
>>> Each request is handled by Cowboy web server, which launches new Erlang
>>> VM instance per request inside lightweight linux container, based on
>>> https://github.com/thestinger/playpen. There are restrictions on
>>> networking, memory and execution time, but nothing else.
>>>
>>> What does it have
>>> As you already heard, there is erlang code evaluation, but also
>>> compilation to several intermediate formats, like core erlang, macros
>>> expanding, beam and erlang assemblers and so on. And all this can be
>>> launched under any erlang release version (for now it's only the latter 8,
>>> but I can add more by demand).
>>> Of course, there is 'pastebin' functionality, so you can save and share
>>> snippet with somebody else.
>>>
>>> Possible use-cases:
>>> * Explore code compatibility with all Erlang releases
>>> * Share runnable erlang snippet with somebody
>>> * Try to launch some dangerous code
>>> * Quickly explore how your code is compiled to erlang asm instructions
>>> * Maybe, for some online studying / webinars. Students are don't even
>>> need to install erlang on their computers
>>> * In blog posts / articles / documentation - to make code snippets more
>>> interactive
>>>
>>> Idea was borrowed from https://play.rust-lang.org/.
>>>
>>> P.S.: it will be great, if you suggest some funny / interesting code
>>> snippets for «Examples» section.

>> --
>> Roberto Aloi
>> ---
>> Website: http://roberto-aloi.com
>> Twitter: @robertoaloi

Петровский Александр / Alexander Petrovsky,

Skype: askjuise
Phone: +7 914 8 820 815