[erlang-questions] MIT SprayList for Schedulers?

Mon Feb 2 18:45:42 CET 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Vance Shipley <vances@REDACTED> wrote:

> Is the recently announced work at MIT on priority queues something
> which the BEAM emulator could benefit from?

Where do you propose to use what is essentially a lock-free Skip List
implementation they seem to call a SprayList?

Note that the problem the researchers are trying to solve is to get more
parallelism out of a sequential problem. These are usually uncommon in
Erlang systems which are serial and concurrent in nature, much the opposite
of the problem the researchers are trying to solve.

It may be they have a use somewhere, but I have a hunch it has to be around
ETS or another place with high core contention inside the system. Maybe the
timer wheels.

--
J.