[erlang-questions] concentate solution well ??

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon Feb 2 03:25:27 CET 2015

On 2/02/2015, at 6:27 am, Roelof Wobben <r.wobben@REDACTED> wrote:
> This solution better ?
>
> concatenate([]) ->
>     [].
>
> concatenate([List] ) ->
>     concatenate2(List1, []).
>
> concatenate2([], List) ->
>     List;
>
> concatenate2([Head| Tail], List) ->
>     concatenate2(Tail, [Head | List])

No.,  To be honest, it is a b----y bad solution.

WHERE ARE THE [UNPRINTABLE] COMMENTS?
Because of this thread, I know what concatenate/2
is supposed to do, BUT YOU HAVE NOT TOLD US WHAT
concatenat2/2 IS SUPPOSED TO DO.

In fact concatenate2/2 appears to be reversal,
which is something you definitely do NOT want.

What you have here is

 > concatenate([]).
 []
 > concatenate([[a,b,c]]).
 [c,b,a]
 > concatenate([[a,b,c], [1,2,3]]).
 NO MATCH

The basic scheme for processing lists by recursion is

g([H|T], Context) ->
    f(H, g(T, Context), Context);
g([], Context) ->
    e(Context).

where g is the function we are trying to define
      e is what to do for an empty list
      f is what to do for a non-empty list
        GIVEN the result of a recursive call on the tail.
      e() and f(_,_) do not have to be literal function
      calls; they could be any expression.

So we are looking for

concatenate([H|T]) ->
    f(H, concatenate(T));
concatenate([]) ->
    e().

You know what concatenate([]) is, so we're looking for

concatenate([H|T]) ->
    f(H, concatenate(T));
concatenate([]) ->
    [].

Now H : list(X)
    concatenate (list(list(X)) -> list(X))
so  concatenate(T) : list(X)
and you need to find an expression f(A, B)
such that when A and B are lists, so is f(A, B),
and the result has all the elements of A followed
by all the elements of B.

If you really do want a helper function (and there is
a built-in operator that does *precisely* what you
need), start by writing the comment:

%   concatenate_helper(A : list(X), B : list(X)) -> R : list(X)
%   R is a list containing all the elements of A followed by
%   all the elements of B and nothing else.

By this point in the book, if you haven't heard of the built-in
operator that does this, you have probably written your own
function for it already.