[erlang-questions] erlang:system_monitor in production?

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Wed Apr 29 11:35:47 CEST 2015

Is it OK to have erlang:system_monitor permanently enabled in production?

The Erlang documentation doesn't say one way or the other; Ferd's
"Erlang in Anger" kinda implies that you'd turn it on when debugging
something specifically. I found https://github.com/basho/riak_sysmon
which seems to imply that it is OK.

On a related note, how do I go about picking good values for the
thresholds? Are there any metrics available that relate to the
system_monitor alarms? By that I mean that (e.g.) folsom can report a
bunch of Erlang VM information. Are there comparable functions that
return the current largest long_gc or long_schedule values?

Thanks,
Roger.