[erlang-questions] Does erlang:now() guarantee that subsequent calls to this BIF returns continuously increasing values even in erlang cluster?

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Tue Apr 21 07:11:40 CEST 2015

"Lamport/vector clocks and other similar ones operate on *causality*, but
this partial ordering is not the only one available or workable."

Whether it's "workable" depends on what's desired. Sorting by {Node,
Timestamp} is not accurate if causality matters and clocks have drifted out
of synch. As they will. Hence Lamport's work, and the work of others. And
if causality doesn't matter, well, I wonder: why bother? Unless you just
want a rough idea of when certain things happened, in which case {Node,
Timestamp} can give you a /total/ order that's, if anything, more accurate
than what you need.

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner@REDACTED
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry