[erlang-questions] Nitrogen-based XMPP client?

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Fri Apr 3 19:03:01 CEST 2015

Hi Grigory,

Have you published code anywhere?

Thanks,

Lloyd

-----Original Message-----
From: "Grigory Fateyev" <gfborn@REDACTED>
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2015 6:10am
To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Nitrogen-based XMPP client?

Hello Marc Worrell!
On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 09:30:02 +0200 you wrote:

> Hi Lloyd,
>
> Did you have a look at the exmpp client library?
> There are some tutorials which might help in getting you started.
>
> http://processone.github.io/exmpp/
> <http://processone.github.io/exmpp/>
>
> I don’t know of any other xmpp client libraries.

I have a very simple (hope in future it'll be more useful) a pet project
xmpp client that connects to rooms and does simple things. Like a bot.

I found exmpp more ready to use it like an example, but the author of
exmpp said:

"Just as a  head up,  note that post is > 5 years old already.  The
main goal of exmpp itself was to be used as parser/xml core in
ejabberd".

So I started my project as simple request-response flow with server.
The main problem is to read XMPP XEPs. :)

> > On 3 apr. 2015, at 05:29, Lloyd R. Prentice <lloyd@REDACTED>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm considering integrating multi-user chat into a Nitrogen
> > application I'm building--- assuming that I'll support it with
> > Mongoose IM. As usual, I'm in over my head, but persistent.
> >
> > I'm imagining a small number ( four? six?) thematic chat rooms
> > serving a relatively small number of visitors at a time. As to
> > scale, think of a book-signing event at a bookstore.
> >
> > I see that there are several JavaScript XMPP client packages that I
> > could integrate into my Nitrogen web pages but, if that's the way,
> > which one? Or, is there a native Erlang XMPP client app that I
> > should look at? Indeed,  is Mongoose IM overkill? After all, the
> > Nitrogen demos provide a very simple tinker-toy chat example, and
> > numerous others can be found on the web though, most, rather long
> > in the tooth.
> >
> > And more, how much harder would it be to integrate video chat
> > using, say, web sockets?
> >
> > In other words, how can I best keep the gotchas, demons, and
> > goblins at bay sufficiently to master the arcane arts of multi-user
> > chat sufficiently to build my application before I die of old age?
> >
> > I'd much appreciate pointers or, better yet, pointers to actual
> > code.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > LRP
> >
> > Sent from my iPad