[erlang-questions] Erlang and Akka

Richard Carlsson carlsson.richard@REDACTED
Mon Sep 1 11:36:54 CEST 2014

Some of the ideas presented in that paper became the basis for a type
analysis (without source level declarations) that I wrote with the intent
of providing more information to the compiler. Then Kostis Sagonas and
Tobias Lindahl took the ball and ran with it, and we ended up with Dialyzer.

I remember that Sven-Olof Nyström also worked on typing of processes, but
the main obstacles were (as Thomas Lindgren also mentioned) the
overapproximation of which PIDs will receive which messages, the mixing of
messages for different purposes in a single mailbox, and that the type for
a process needs to describe what messages are acceptable at what times in
order to be really useful. I can't find anything published about this
research. He did however write up some of his ideas about how Erlang could
be improved, partly in order to get more precise information about
communication patterns:
http://www.it.uu.se/research/publications/reports/2009-005/

        /Richard