[erlang-questions] Distributed application and netsplit

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Wed Nov 19 21:49:19 CET 2014

Raoul,

The problem is, once the net split has been detected, how then to manually shutdown the unwanted application instance(s) in such a way that the distributed application failover continues to work from that point forward.

The OP already has application-specific code which is able to detect that a net split / split brain scenario has occurred.

Furthermore, the OP is “ok” writing application specific code to attempt to resolve the situation at that point.

The question is, what is the “best” way to go about doing that?

Is it not possible to shutdown all of the unwanted application instances in such a way that distributed application failover continues to work from that point forward?

Or is it really necessary to restart *all* of the nodes on which the distributed application may run?

Clearly that would be, well, less than ideal.

Then again, so would rewriting dist_ac...

-Rick