[erlang-questions] No JSON/MAPS interoperability in 17.0?

Raoul Duke raould@REDACTED
Fri Mar 14 20:59:20 CET 2014

> I know you were talking in more general cases, and I'm a strong believer
> of evaluating context to make a decision. There are areas where it's
> definitely worth trying within Erlang (and the VM), but JSON just isn't
> one to me.

this sort of situation is never really resolvable as far as i have
seen. consider naked ocaml vs. ocaml with batteries; consider the
popularity of java in a large part due to the sdk; consider scala vs.
scalaz; consider how many different ways there are to effing try to
effing install any effing library in effing python.

if you include stuff, you are making the language a lot more amenable
to newbies, to greater adoption, even if what you end up with in the
long run is java-esque poop.

if you exclude stuff, you are making the language a lot less adoptable
and possibly more fragmented all of which just pisses (at least some)
people off and away from adopting the language.

i guess if there were something like a non-core-erlang group that made
their own "stack" for erlang, that would be a way to keep it outside
the core, yet somehow "standardized".

?