[erlang-questions] No JSON/MAPS interoperability in 17.0?

Carsten Bormann cabo@REDACTED
Fri Mar 14 13:58:35 CET 2014

>      1) does a floating point number survive a round-trip from erlang -> JSON -> Erlang
>           is it "bit identical" after the round trip? - why does this matter? - well it
>          might just matter - I might want to cache the result or compute a SHA1 from it.

Yes, and that is not hard to do if you already can print and read floating point numbers.

>       2) Do I have to worry about filling the erlang atom table?

Not with default parameters.
(EEP-18 has an option to control what happens with object keys, and I think that is prudent.)

>       3) Do I have to handle "infinite"JSON streams (for some meaning of "infinite”)

No.  “Streaming” is much more application specific, so it makes more sense to have to use an application-specific library for this.

>       4) Do want parse trees, or a SAX like interface

Parse trees (see above).

>       5) Do I want pure erlang or a NIF (the NIF might crash erlang)

That can change over time (start with pure Erlang).

> […]
> I watched DaveTomas and Jose Valim's Erlang factory lecture where
> they criticised Erlang for not having simple ways of doing common things.
>
> I think they were right.

_!_

> The problem is simple things are very difficult to invent.

It seems to me EEP-18 already did most of the work here.

Grüße, Carsten