[erlang-questions] Fwd: Breaking backwards compatibility in Release 17.0-rc2

Andreas Schumacher andreas@REDACTED
Thu Mar 13 12:12:08 CET 2014

Thanks for the additional feedback. We will look into applying the
workaround to file:consult() and other functions in file.erl as well.

Andreas

Begin forwarded message:

 *From: *Richard Carlsson <carlsson.richard@REDACTED>
 *Subject: * *Re: Fwd: [erlang-questions] Breaking backwards compatibility
in Release 17.0-rc2*
 *Date: *13 Mar 2014 11:49:40 GMT+1
 *To: *Andreas Schumacher <andreas@REDACTED>
 *Cc: *<erlang-questions@REDACTED>

On 2014-03-13 08:26 , Andreas Schumacher wrote:

We anticipate that there will only be a small amount of files for which
this automatic workaround needs to kick in. ASCII is valid UTF-8; and
thus, only files containing ISO-Latin-1 characters #80 and above are
impacted.

I checked our code base, and found almost 700 .erl and .hrl files
containing Latin-1 characters. That's only about 15% of all source files,
so the effect on compilation times of retrying should be small.

You might also want to retry with Latin-1 in file:consult() and the other
functions in file.erl that depend on encodings.

  /Richard