[erlang-questions] No JSON/MAPS interoperability in 17.0?

Loïc Hoguin <>
Mon Mar 10 15:57:03 CET 2014


By economy I hope you don't mean financial data, as it is utterly terrible at it. It is terrible at most of everything important really. People only use it because everyone uses it.

-- 
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu

-------- Original Message --------
From:Carsten Bormann <>
Sent:Sun, 09 Mar 2014 22:15:24 +0100
To:Anthony Ramine <>
Cc:Erlang MailingList <>
Subject:Re: [erlang-questions] No JSON/MAPS interoperability in 17.0?

>> I said around. There is absolutely no tooling around JSON which is properly specified and widely used, that was to reply to the namedropping of ASN.1 and XML.
>
>Yeah.  JSON is ready to eat.  No ASN.1 compilers or XML schema tools needed.
>
>> Dominant? Do you have statistics for this? My own experience is that we inject JSON in webpages a lot.
>
>Indeed, I had the impression that the comments would relate to such a background.
>
>> Stack Overflow seems to agree.
>
>Stack Overflow certainly agrees that this usage is problematic and therefore generates a lot of questions about how to remove the bullet from the foot,
>
>> See above. PHP has some options to counter these problems, Rails has escape_html_entities_in_json.
>
>PHP has a lot of things that are not needed in Erlang…
>The Rails people have since learned that generating JavaScript with data values inserted is not such a great idea (the feature is not really about JSON despite its name).
>
>>>> Just because other languages include such a thing doesn’t mean Erlang should too.
>>> 
>>> Of course that would be a weak reason.  But it's a straw man.
>>> The reason for supporting JSON at the standard library level is that JSON is the most widely used format to interchange data.
>> 
>> Most widely used? In the web probably. In other fields, I wouldn’t bet on this.
>
>It’s not replacing HDF5.
>But it is quickly getting rid of CSV, XML, and a ton of ad-hoc syntaxes that together with a bit of spit and string hold together the Economy.
>
>> Given that there is a myriad of third-party JSON libraries, what’s the problem?
>
>That *is* the problem.
>When I need to print a floating-point number, I don’t start looking for and comparing third-party libraries.
>(Printing floating-point is a problem that is about ten times as difficult as the problem of printing JSON is when you already can print floating point numbers.  It also has more parameters than a JSON printer needs.)
>
>> And a standard library which sets in stone such a supposedly-important feature the moment a convenient datatype is available isn’t worth anything, in my opinion.
>
>Well, it’s worth to design it properly then.
>
>
>The reason I’m reacting to this discussion is that it seems to be dominated by people who have never used JSON for what it is good at.
>That is not a character flaw, but it may skew the discussion in the wrong direction.
>(Replace “JSON” with “strings decimally representing floating point numbers” in the previous messages in this thread to find out how ridiculous some of them sound to me.)
>
>Grüße, Carsten
>
>_______________________________________________
>erlang-questions mailing list
>
>http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20140310/967595c9/attachment.html>


More information about the erlang-questions mailing list