[erlang-questions] Fwd: FW: Breaking backwards compatibility in Release 17.0-rc2

Andreas Schumacher andreas@REDACTED
Thu Mar 6 11:15:46 CET 2014

Admittedly, we did not communicate those (intentional) incompatibilities
effectively prior to the release. Hence, we will make some adaptations to
ease the transition. They will be published in the master branch of the
erlang/otp GitHub repository at the beginning of next week.

Re: 1. utf-8 is now the default encoding

The default encoding of Erlang files has been changed from ISO-8859-1
(Latin-1) to UTF-8. The encoding of XML files has also been changed to
UTF-8.

In OTP 17.0-rc{1,2}, a file that is encoded in latin-1 and contains
non-UTF-8/non-ASCII-7 characters, causes a compiler error similar to the
following:

  tst.erl:1: cannot parse file, giving up
  tst.erl:1: no module definition
  tst.erl:1: cannot translate from UTF-8

In OTP 17.0, if a file is encoded in latin-1 and contains
non-UTF-8/non-ASCII characters, but does not declare the encoding with a
magic encoding comment at the beginning of the file, epp (the Erlang code
pre-processor) issues a deprecation warning, and processes the file again,
assuming latin-1 encoding.

In a future major version, preferably in OTP 18, the deprecation warning
will be turned into an error again. That is, only UTF-8 encoded files, and
files that declare the source code encoding at the beginning of the source
code file, will be accepted.

NOTE: The deprecation workaround in OTP 17 does only apply to Erlang source
code files, but not to other files; e.g., yecc files and files read by
file:consult/1.

For more information, see the STDLIB User's Guide, 2 Using Unicode in
Erlang [1] and the STDLIB Reference Manual, epp [2].

[1] http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/stdlib/unicode_usage.html
[2] http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/epp.html

Re: 2. Dialyzer dislikes queue(), dict(), ...

OTP-10342
The pre-defined types array/0, dict/0, digraph/0, gb_set/0, gb_tree/0,
queue/0, set/0, and tid/0 have been deprecated. They will be removed in
Erlang/OTP 18.0.

Instead the types array:array/0, dict:dict/0, digraph:graph/0,
gb_set:set/0, gb_tree:tree/0, queue:queue/0, sets:set/0, and ets:tid/0 can
be used. (Note: it has always been necessary to use ets:tid/0.)

It is allowed in Erlang/OTP 17 to locally re-define the types array/0,
dict/0, and so on.

New types array:array/1, dict:dict/2, gb_sets:set/1, gb_trees:tree/2,
queue:queue/1, and sets:set/1 have been added.

A compiler option, nowarn_deprecated_type, has been introduced. By
including the attribute

    -compile(nowarn_deprecated_type).

in an Erlang source file, warnings about deprecated types can be avoided in
Erlang/OTP 17.0.

The option can also be given as a compiler flag:

    erlc +nowarn_deprecated_type file.erl

Andreas Schumacher, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB