[erlang-questions] erl -sname, emacs, connect to repl

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Wed Mar 5 15:36:53 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 4:37 AM, t x <txrev319@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Given:
>
>   machine name: server
>   user account: x
>
>   x@REDACTED$ erl -sname gandalf
>   ## we now have an erl running
>

> Question:
>
>   Now, from emacs, how do I tell emacs "connect a repl to the node
> with sname gandalf" instead of "fire up a new session of erl" ?

If you give a prefix arg to erlang-shell, it reads arguments from the
minibuffer. The tricky part is that you also have to set the TERM env var.
So, if you type

C-u M-x erlang-shell

you'll be prompted with "Erlang command: " to enter the erlang shell
command. At the prompt enter something like the following:

erl -sname bilbo -remsh gandalf@REDACTED -env TERM vt100

The "-env TERM vt100" part is very important, since if you leave it off,
the new node will start just fine but will silently fail to connect to the
other node.

--steve