[erlang-questions] How to investigate a CPU Load problem ?

Jesse Gumm gumm@REDACTED
Tue Mar 4 21:26:37 CET 2014

To help find out what processes go haywire when they do, I use a
slightly modified version of entop that shows the current function
call, process status (waiting, running), and stacktrace to help debug
what's going on:

https://github.com/choptastic/entop/commit/c27d6c3241949629dc526a55c45a851260aec04b

(Yeah, I know the indenting is all hosed up).

And of course, htop to verify that it is indeed the beam process
that's freaking out.

Best of luck,

-Jesse

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Michael Loftis <mloftis@REDACTED> wrote:
> In Linux at least, the load average includes not only the run queue
> but the io wait queue.  You have to look at % CPU utilization stats as
> well as io stats to figure out where your load is coming from
> precisely (CPU or IO)
>
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:51 AM, 饕餮 <249505968@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Our Project just get in some trouble....
>> The CPU Load seems too high (10 for 8 core CPU).
>> we use etop and find out that no any process has more than 1 message.
>> Now I don't know how to investigate next.
>> Could some one give me some advice?

> --
>
> "Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its possessors
> into trouble of all kinds."
> -- Samuel Butler

Jesse Gumm
Owner, Sigma Star Systems