[erlang-questions] unable to build valgrind-enabled erlang runtime

Sverker Eriksson sverker.eriksson@REDACTED
Mon Mar 3 15:45:44 CET 2014

On 03/01/2014 12:12 AM, Kris Prieb wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am attempting to build a valgrind-enabled erlang runtime per:
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/installation_guide/INSTALL.html#id72660
>
> My platform is an amazon linux machine image on ec2 on which I have already
> installed an erlang disribution from source.
>
> I entered the following at the command prompt:
>
> [ec2-user@REDACTED emulator]$ env
> ERL_TOP=/home/ec2-user/otp_src_R16B02 FLAVOR=smp make valgrind
> FLAVOR=$FLAVOR
>
> The following was returned:
>
> make -f x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/Makefile TYPE=valgrind
> can't open x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/valgrind/plain/erl_compile_flags.h for
> writing at utils/make_compiler_flags line 65.
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ec2-user/otp_src_R16B02/erts/emulator'
> if utils/gen_git_version x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/gen_git_version.mk; then
> touch beam/erl_bif_info.c; fi
> *** valgrind emulator disabled by configure - omitted target all
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ec2-user/otp_src_R16B02/erts/emulator'
>

> What have I done wrong here?  Do I have to run "configure" with special
> arguments before building valgrind-enabled runtime?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
> Kris

If configure does not find a working valgrind, that target will be disabled.

Search for "valgrind" in erts/config.log to see what failed. It probably
failed to compile #include <valgrind/valgrind.h>.

If your valgrind is installed in a non-standard place, point it out to
configure with CPPFLAGS=-I/my/valgrind/install/dir/include.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP