[erlang-questions] file:read_file an UTF-8 encoded file

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Jun 26 18:23:25 CEST 2014

file:read_file/1 reads a file as a sequence of bytes. It doesn't know
what kind of file it is, or how to interpret it. It's not
file:read_text_file/1 or similar, it's just read_file. It's not high
level at all, it's just a convenient shortcut.

On 06/26/2014 05:58 PM, Camille Troillard wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> This is a simple question, yet I haven’t found the right answer.
> Using Erlang/OTP 16B03-2:
>
> I read a file using file:read_file(“my_utf8_file.txt”).
>
> The result binary contains the 3 BOM bytes. I was not expecting that. Since this is such a high-level call, isn’t file:read_file/1 supposed to get rid of the byte order mark?
>
> So, how do you professional Erlang users read the contents of a UTF-8 encoded file on Erlang 16B03?
>

> All the bast,
> Cam

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu