[erlang-questions] Dependencies, included applications and supervision

Federico Carrone federico.carrone@REDACTED
Wed Jun 25 19:48:17 CEST 2014

We have been having a long discussion the previous months about included
applications and supervision at our workspace.

Some of us just lists the needed applications in the .app file and make
sure that all necessary application are started when our application
starts.

For some teammates this has a big issue that: if a depencendy dies, our
application's supervision tree will not know about it. They say that the
system would be in an inconsistent state. So what they do is that they add
the applications inside the included applications and they start the top
level supervisor of each dependency inside our application supervisor tree.

I do not really like this since I think that each application should be
separate.

I would REALLY like to know the community views and experiencies on this.

Thanks in advance,
Federico Carrone.

--
http://federicocarrone.com/