[erlang-questions] Spawning slaves for separation

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Mon Jun 23 09:28:06 CEST 2014

On 22 June 2014 17:24, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
> Dmitry, I'm using  slave:start for spawning separate Erlang process for each
> transcoder and use nif (now with dirty schedulers) for running
> decode/encode.

I'm considering a design like this for something we're doing. I have
some questions about it.

- Are you running one transcoder in each slave?
- Are you finding the fact that each slave is a separate node is a
resource problem?
- What are you using to manage the slaves, particularly w.r.t.
recovering from crashes in the NIF?
- How are you communicating with the slave?

My problem is probably different: rather than transcoding, we'll be
running a scripting VM (for instance), which is lighter weight, so
probably encourages sharing a slave among a number of VM instances.

I was also wondering whether anything in the riak_core toolbox would
help with this, and would appreciate relevant thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,
Roger.