[erlang-questions] Why (not) hot code loading

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Jun 20 22:43:24 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 1:02 PM, zxq9 <zxq9@REDACTED> wrote:
> I've never had a situation where I've needed hot code loading, but a project
> that may be a good fit with this feature is looming (and may not be a good fit
> -- I have much to learn about this feature). Nearly all the advice I see on
> this is to avoid it in production, which seems highly ironic, since this
> feature was designed specifically to ease certain cases of production.

I'm trying to imagine how disruptive a server restart would be to a
telecom company. My guess is it might put them out of business if it
happened too often. Or, if you're AT&T or other US carriers, it's
fine.

But most applications don't fall into this category. Given that it's a
hard problem to begin with and that most applications don't really
need this, I'm not surprised there isn't a well beaten path here.

I've never had a situation where I've needed hot code loading either.
But ad hoc code reloading for bug fixes -- and in particular to do
that *reliably* (try this in e.g. in Java or Python, etc.) -- is
extremely handy.

Mark Allen, see, this is a *bottom post*. It's not hard. Do you see
now nice the content flows? [1]

Garrett

[1] ;)