[erlang-questions] node.js vs erlang

Peer Stritzinger peerst@REDACTED
Fri Jun 20 16:39:27 CEST 2014

On 2014-06-20 12:54:38 +0000, Leonard Boyce said:
> 3) "TDD is extremely painful. What should I be writing tests for?"

TDD is by no means mandated by Erlang, this is a matter of taste and
required quality.

With Erlang you can do (as in any other language): write you tests
first and do TDD

Write your tests last.

Write property based tests which rule them all.

And even in the extreme: write no tests at all.  Not really
recommending this but you'd still get more stable software if you don't
really test it at all and just run it.  Many here have these quickly
hacked together prototypes that amazingly run without problems non-stop
since a year.

> 6) "Configuration files for rebar et al. just seem weird and sorta
> 'black magic'. dependency handling, starting of applications etc"

Rebar is not mandatory at all ... I'm using Erlang since 2007 and never
did anything real with rebar.

If you don't like it don't use it.

> 7) "Dialyzer is dog slow"

Dialyzer is not that slow if used properly (and gotten faster
recently), and you don't have to dialyze on each make.

And if you still hate it: its also optional.

Cheers,
-- Peer