[erlang-questions] Erlang for youngsters

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Fri Jun 20 16:17:10 CEST 2014

 > I have a nine year old whose life exists almost exclusively of
 > Minecraft. It's disturbing. ...

Same here.  I've tried to promote Minetest (C++ & Lua, better design,
open-source and consequently better community), but to no avail.

 > I'll personally be crushed if "def ... end" turns out to be more
 > understandable for young learners.

A study would be interesting that compared word-like terms to symbolic
terms in programming languages that are otherwise identical, e.g., "do
<...> end" vs "-> <...> ."  A word-heavy PL would obviously better suit
an imperative style "do this then do that", a symbol heavy PL more like
maths.  This would probably be reflected in which children prefer which
PL.  However, you'd have to find a neutral, non-leading way to present
the PLs.

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy