[erlang-questions] node.js vs erlang

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Jun 19 10:52:06 CEST 2014

On 06/19/2014 08:50 AM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> by doing those 3 things, nodejs can have a steep learning curve and still
> succeed in getting lots of users.

That's another thing I don't understand. People always say nodejs has
lots of users. Yet I haven't heard of a single success story.

Erlang, you don't have to look far. Most big companies use Erlang. Half
the world's phone communications go through Erlang. You can find Erlang
in space. Heck even npm, the nodejs package manager, uses Erlang.

So my question then is: on what is the hype built? It certainly doesn't
seem to be built on the capabilities of the platform. I doubt it's
because it has one short example on its front page either. It probably
*helps* but it's not *why* there's hype about it.

If you want to attract hypey people you have to build hype around
Erlang, and that's much harder because you can't just hop in, everything
is different and you have to restart learning from scratch. As simple as
an example you might put on its front page, it will not get the point
across as well as one for a familiar language.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu