[erlang-questions] node.js vs erlang

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Wed Jun 18 12:22:21 CEST 2014

On 18 Jun 2014, at 07:49, Ivan Carmenates García <co7eb@REDACTED> wrote:

> Yes Paulo, I definely think that it is what nodejs is about, it is very nice to prototyping things because of the code, easily to understand and program; a different way of thinking (no so nice like Erlang but.. still..), but noting seriously such as what you can do with Erlang you can build with nodejs I think.

An interesting exercise might be to map https://github.com/uwiger/pots,
specifically the lim_asynch.erl API, to e.g. websockets, and try to program
the POTS subscriber loop in node.js.

The challenges of the exercise are outlined in this presentation:
http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Death-by-Accidental-Complexity

I know that there are techniques developed in node.js to deal with the
sort of issues that arise. The problem is illustrating to people when they
are needed, and just how bad it can get without them.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com