[erlang-questions] Erlang for youngsters

Ferenc Holzhauser ferenc.holzhauser@REDACTED
Mon Jun 16 12:55:46 CEST 2014

The most important thing here I believe is to have a nice collection of
simple tasks/problems that are appealing to the target audience and best
(easiest/nicest) solved in Erlang. That's a bit of a challenge considering
that Erlang is created to solve problems that are rather "industrial" and
most people "from outside" can't really relate to. If the audience is not
comfortable with understanding the problem itself then it is tricky to make
them understand/like the solution too.

This we can see with many new people getting into Erlang: The problems they
are given are new and difficult to understand. So they often just go off
and eagerly try to solve all sort of issues they are familiar with (even
when they are not relevant in the particular case) before even trying to
understand what the real challenge is. Then they start complaining that
Erlang is not very good for some/many of those issues they are busy with.

And other way around: people coming to Erlang with the right understanding
of the problem area it is made for find it amazingly simple to learn.

Coming from the wrong (or right ?) background my imagination fails to come
up with these appealing challenges for the youngster target group, but I'm
sure many of you can do much better.

Ferenc