[erlang-questions] Erlang for youngsters

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Mon Jun 16 11:09:23 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Mark Nijhof
<mark.nijhof@REDACTED> wrote:

> Interesting, I am planning on giving a programming course at my kids school
> and was planning on using Erlang as well.

This is where the real feedback will come from -- trying stuff. I
think all of these approaches and strategies could pay off, but
running experiments will tell.

I am very interested to hear about how your work unfolds.

> I was thinking that because they
> don't have proper experience with other less tradition languages like the
> common OO languages that they might not face the same problems we do when
> adapting this new paradigm. The Erlang language itself is rather simple and
> straightforward so I don't think that is a problem in its own. Infect using
> something like Elixir might even add too many variance to the whole thing (I
> wasn't planning on using that). You can gradually build up towards the
> different patterns in Erlang, and once they get that they will thank you for
> the rest of the programming live.

It's a lot of work, but boy wouldn't it be *extremely* interesting to
use both languages, but on different students, and see what they
think?

Garrett