[erlang-questions] how erlang handle multiple processes accepting on a socket?

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Sat Jun 14 13:04:00 CEST 2014

It is one queue per listen socket, using poll/select.

The gen_tcp accept is executed directly in the callers scheduler/thread
if the socket accept returns ok.
Otherwise the listen socket is "selected" and an input ready callback will
run socket accept from a scheduler/thread when the event is triggered.

So the answer is no. The queued accepts are executed as result of
the (listen) port being scheduled. The listen port actually creates
new port / socket and pass that to the process that called gen_tcp accept
in the first place.

While browsing the code, needed to updated myself with the latest progress,
in order to reply to this question, I notice that all accepts are executed
from the queue regardless how long the queue is. Could this not
lead to very interesting behavior in extreme cases ?
(I need to do some fun experiments)

/Tony

On 14 jun 2014, at 10:30, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@REDACTED> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
> Driver remembers what processes have asked to notify them about new connection.
>
> When new client comes, driver looks for next waiting process, send message to it and removes his record from list of waiting processes.
>
> So, nothing magic. Driver is single threaded, but it is scheduled independently from other processes.
>
> So afaik accepting is only done in one thread right?
>
> hrmm or does it notify them about a read event and let them accept?

"Installing applications can lead to corruption over time. Applications gradually write over each other's libraries, partial upgrades occur, user and system errors happen, and minute changes may be unnoticeable and difficult to fix"