[erlang-questions] Beginners tutorials

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Thu Jun 12 17:48:52 CEST 2014

Doesn't it kind of depend on what the goal of a tutorial is?

If all one is trying to do is teach straight coding in Erlang, the big
conceptual issue is getting one's head around a functional language.
For that, there's:
http://www.erlang.org/static/getting_started_quickly.html
and
http://learnyousomeerlang.com/content

But, really, if all one is trying to do is get from "hello world" to
stand-alone code modules, that kind of misses the point of Erlang (at
least IMHO).  It's not like one is progressing from short, simple
programs, to very large complicated ones - the whole point of Erlang is
to develop systems of actors - where the conceptual issues have a lot
more to do with how to structure large collections of interacting units.

Now if one is trying to do a ground up tutorial for Erlang, and OTP, as
a platform - that immediately leads to three questions:
- what is the audience trying to learn?
- what is the reader's state of knowledge about such things as
distributed system concepts and architectures, run-time environments,
platforms, and so forth?
- where to start?
- and maybe, whether to proceed with a bottom-up incremental approach to
system building, or a top-down architectural approach

In fact, if anything, rather than a bottom-up tutorial, what might be
really useful is a top-down tutorial - more along the lines of learning
Linux for the first time.  Rather than starting with echo "Hello
World!"  a tutorial is more along the lines of:
- insert liveCD into slot, and boot
- log in
- list some files
- create a file, display it, examine its properties,
- examine directory structures and file types (including device types)
- examine the processes running, manipulate them
- examine environment variables, paths, etc.
- create and manipulate some shells
- download, unpack, and install some packages
- and so forth

For Erlang, the equivalent might start with:
- install Erlang
- start a node
- use the various run-time tools to start examining what's running
- write, compile, load, run a simple 2-actor ping-pong application;
examine it's behavior with the various run-time tools
- start up another node
- modify ping-pong to run across nodes; examine its run-time behavior
- play with some of the packaging/installation/distribution tools
- from there, I think we're getting into areas that are more complex
than it makes sense to address in a tutorial - more like the ground that
"Erlang and OTP in Action" covers pretty well

Just my two cents,

Miles Fidelman