[erlang-questions] Which technology I should choose?

Loïc Hoguin <>
Thu Jun 12 17:15:53 CEST 2014


But what's this cleanliness you speak of? Can you provide some examples?

On 06/12/2014 05:14 PM, Lee Sylvester wrote:
> I actually think Cowboy has the most potential.  Mostly because Cowboy receives the most frequent updates.  However, I also love WebMachine and it’s cleanliness.  It would be good to have a secondary layer for Cowboy one of these days, that helps scaffold complex but typical web server requirements.  I’ve been thinking quite a bit about it.
>
> Lee
>
>
>
> On 12 Jun 2014, at 08:56, Loïc Hoguin <> wrote:
>
>> No offense taken or anything. Just the way you say it makes it sound like you didn't know about cowboy_rest. cowboy_rest implements the same state machine as WebMachine, and the Cowboy router implements a similar routing mechanism to WebMachine, so using Cowboy or WebMachine should be equivalent for REST tasks, simple or not. It's the same callbacks and concepts etc.
>>
>> (If you haven't guessed from this post, yes, WebMachine was a big inspiration for many things in Cowboy.)
>>
>> On 06/12/2014 01:23 AM, Lee Sylvester wrote:
>>> Hey Loïc,
>>>
>>> I meant nothing by it.  I had to build a Socket.IO compatible server
>>> recently, and Cowboy was my first choice.  I simply find WebMachine gets
>>> the job done when that job is a super simple task and I need full REST
>>> without thinking too hard about it.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>
>>>
>>> On 11 Jun 2014, at 17:21, Loïc Hoguin <
>>> <mailto:>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Cowboy has had Webmachine based REST for more than 2 years now. Am I
>>>> missing something obvious that Webmachine has or are people simply not
>>>> aware of the implementation in Cowboy? If there is something that can
>>>> be improved I'd like to hear about it.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Loïc Hoguin
>>>> http://ninenines.eu
>>>>
>>>> -------- Original Message --------
>>>> From:Lee Sylvester <
>>>> <mailto:>>
>>>> Sent:Wed, 11 Jun 2014 17:58:48 +0200
>>>> To:Ivan Carmenates García < <mailto:>>
>>>> Cc: <mailto:>
>>>> Subject:Re: [erlang-questions] Which technology I should choose?
>>>>
>>>> I find Cowboy provides a lot of flexibility, but WebMachine provides a
>>>> “quick to market” solution.  WebMachine also helps you build cleaner
>>>> code.  Mochiweb is useful, but since WebMachine is built on it, I’d
>>>> say it’s WebMachine hands down.
>>>>
>>>> Lee
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 11 Jun 2014, at 16:42, Ivan Carmenates García <
>>>> <mailto:>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>> I’ve been wondering if I could ask for an advice from the community
>>>>> to help me choose a good tec for a project I am developing.
>>>>> My primordial priority is not to be productive, I like pure Erlang as
>>>>> it is, no dummy frameworks for productivity, I’m looking for
>>>>> something clean and powerful at the same time, I already choose Extjs
>>>>> 4.2 for the view, because the project is about accounting and
>>>>> statistics, and the graphics and visual that extjs gives is a very
>>>>> nice and interesting fact. I have a weak choice for yaws for the
>>>>> server at the time.
>>>>> What I would like to know is if there is another web server better
>>>>> than yaws to combine it with extjs, the idea is to export an API REST
>>>>> or another kind of API that allows a good communication with extjs
>>>>> using json, also that supports for web-socket or any real-time server
>>>>> push technology, that is primordial since I need a real-time app, ex:
>>>>> Chicago Boss have a very interesting mechanism to do that, since it
>>>>> use a long-polling strategy, that is very interesting, the only
>>>>> problem and almost impossible to deal with CB is the errors
>>>>> formatting and definition. A good documentation is required too.
>>>>> I hope someone can help me to decide.
>>>>> I will appreciate all kind of suggestions.
>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>> Ivan.
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> erlang-questions mailing list
>>>>>  <mailto:>
>>>>> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
>>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Loïc Hoguin
>> http://ninenines.eu
>

-- 
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu



More information about the erlang-questions mailing list