[erlang-questions] Supervisor tree width?

Guilherme Andrade g@REDACTED
Sat Jun 7 19:00:39 CEST 2014

I'd say there shouldn't be any issue; supervisors are capable of
handling hundreds of thousand of children. Unless it makes sense to
further subgroup those workers and/or there are requirements along such
lines (concerning process deaths, restarts and whatnot), I see no reason
for not having a single supervisor for them all.

Cheers,

On 06-06-2014 21:31, Angel Alvarez (GMAIL) wrote:
> Sorry I came across this, and I need to ask,
>

> I'm planning to have several thousand children (FSM machines) under the same supervisor.
>
> There is one FSM per client and they don't talk to each other so they are unrelated in this regard ..
>
> I thought "simple_one_one" is designed to cope with this, is it the right thing to do? or I'm missing something out?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Angel Alvarez (GMAIL)
> angeljalvarezmiguel@REDACTED
>

> El 30/05/2014, a las 15:02, Dmitry Kolesnikov <dmkolesnikov@REDACTED> escribió:
>
>> I’ll be trivial to say that design of supervisor tree is an application specific.
>>
>> One lesson learned is that supervision it’s about the guarantees. Take a look into Fred’s post
>> http://ferd.ca/it-s-about-the-guarantees.html
>>
>> Personally, I’am splitting an application to smaller functional units with own supervisors per unit.
>> If an unit design needs 15 children then I see no issue to have them.
>> However, if 15 children do not have any relations each other then I am combining them to guaranty deterministic application state after failure.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Dmitry
>>
>> On 30 May 2014, at 14:28, Roger Lipscombe <roger@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm concerned that the top-level supervisor in one of our applications
>>> has too many children. It has about 15 children, which are only
>>> vaguely related to each other.
>>>
>>> What's a good rule-of-thumb for whether a supervisor tree is too wide?
>>> Or too deep? Or am I thinking on the wrong level here?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roger.