[erlang-questions] How to access digraph vertices

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Tue Jun 3 16:16:30 CEST 2014

Hi Toben,

Many thanks. Aw, so simple. I should have thought of that.

I'm working on a db that has a strong hierarchical structure similar to:

books

fiction | non-fiction

genre1 genre2 ...

author1 author2 ...

book1 book2

Queries would look like:

1) List all genres
2) List all authors in genre
3) Select author
3) List all books in genre
4) List all books in genre
5) Select book

Many times more reads than writes. As I understand,  the whole structure has to be built in RAM. Genres could, conceivably be factored into separate graphs of up to several hundred books and authors/genre.

Which leaves the questions:

1) Is a transaction-like technique available to permit write graph structure to disk with losing record writes coming in in the meantime?

2) Any gains or simply querying a flat db?

3) Is there a yet better way?

Thanks again,

Lloyd