[erlang-questions] design pattern question for messaging

Wed Jul 23 16:53:00 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Youngkin, Rich <
richard.youngkin@REDACTED> wrote:

> I may have missed it, but in Jesper's reply I didn't see the persistence
> requirement addressed.

One way to approach persistence is to have each process track its state on
disk whenever it is sure its state is consistent. The trick is to keep the
amount of persist-calls low so most of the way forward moves on volatile
messages which are fast. In the event of a crash you reset to the last
known stable point and continue on from there.

For smaller systems, tracking state in mnesia is an obvious candidate. For
larger systems, you can use something like Riak.

RabbitMQ implements its own persistence layer and just makes sure that data
are sync'ed to disk before it accepts the message from the client. In the
event of an error, RabbitMQ can then reconstruct its queue state from the
disk log. This is one of the reasons never-persisted messages are much
faster in RabbitMQ than messages you persist on disk.

--
J.