[erlang-questions] design pattern question for messaging system

Daniel Pezely dpezely@REDACTED
Tue Jul 22 19:35:03 CEST 2014

> Except, that model kind of falls down because Erlang message are
unreliable by design, and don't persist in the event of a process crash
(much less a node crash).

You can get the best of what Erlang offers while also adding a journal mechanism in much the same way that many traditional databases handle transactions reliably.

There is a cascade effect of features:

1. For every message that you send, first log it to disk.  Then in event of a complete system crash you can replay the journal.

2. Next is to simultaneously write two pieces of information: a flag to be set later upon completion of action following message delivery as well as writing the original message itself, of course.

3. This in turn requires updating the status flag upon completion of action which should also be a distinct node on your sequence diagram.  (Any I/O operation should be noted.)

These could be all in one file or two depending upon various factors: speed of which you generate messages, speed of which you process messages, number & nature of storage devices, whether you are on AWS style ephemeral server instances where semantics of service provider's local versus network attached storage is critical to understand, etc.

Some tricks include writing a header for every N messages such that you can perform bulk updates, thereby iterating at a granularity of large blocks rather than several bytes at a time and minimize seek operations during nominal operations. It also depends upon how you track state internally, such that you may be able to completely forgo the status flag on disk.  Lots of directions that you could take this...

-Daniel
--
dpezely@REDACTED