[erlang-questions] HEART_COMMAND scripts

David Welton davidnwelton@REDACTED
Tue Jul 22 11:57:55 CEST 2014

Hi,

I've been doing some digging into a few minor problems with the
excellent relx (Erlang needs more tools like this!), and came across
one thing that I filed a bug report for:

https://github.com/erlware/relx/issues/213

I wanted to ask a wider audience about HEART_COMMAND scripts and how
they are used. You you just use it to restart the Erlang node?  Or do
people do other things in there?  I'm thinking of doing some fancier
scripting, like attempting to notify the service team of the problem,
checking how many restarts have happened in the past N minutes, and of
course also restarting Erlang if there haven't been too many restarts.

Steve Vinoski has some good advice here:
http://steve.vinoski.net/blog/2009/02/22/controlling-erlangs-heart/
which I think I'll be integrating in the script we end up with.

Thanks
--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/