[erlang-questions] My Erlang experience (and Introducing myself)

Giovanni Giorgi jj@REDACTED
Fri Jul 18 09:23:45 CEST 2014

Hi all,

 My name is Giovanni Giorgi and I am new to the Erlang mailing list, so
I will introduce my self shortly.

I am a 40-years old Software architect, started to coding when I was
eleven, inspired by the "Socratic daimōn" if you like.

In 2000, after my Master degree at DSI University of Milan, Italy I
started to work in the banking and financial field, mostly coding in
Java J2EE (and ...tired by now).

I like very much learning programming languages and Unix operating
systems.

I have started looking at Erlang after taking a peek look at Scala,
Haskell, Emacs-Lisp, and Nodejs/JavaScript.

I am surprised from how much is easy using Erlang compared to
EmacsLisp/Scala or Haskell. I am not doing holy war here, I am just
saying I am very comfortable with Erlang compared to other functional
languages.

I have started a small project <https://github.com/daitangio/er_zauker>
which is a search engine tailored to code search.

I have found is easier to maintain the erlang version compared to the
ruby one (!) and my knowledge of the two languages (and paired std
libraries) is quite the same.

I enjoy Squeak Smalltalk for a long time, and I think is Erlang is even
more productive then Smalltalk, a quite hard to beat environment.

---

Gio's Blog http://gioorgi.com