[erlang-questions] What factors correlate with programming language popularity/adoption?

Mark Allen mallen@REDACTED
Wed Jul 9 22:19:09 CEST 2014

In this very excellent blog post

  http://www.pl-enthusiast.net/?p=235

Michael Hicks summarizes some recent research into what makes certain
programming languages popular and others less so.  It especially includes
recommendations on how to improve adoption of functional programming
languages.

While I highly recommend reading the whole blog post and the linked-to
research paper

  http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~asrabkin/papers/oopsla13.pdf

The tl;dr summary is below:

    > The paper shows convincingly that the single factor that most
strongly
    > correlates with both preferring and actually using a language is
good
    > libraries, particularly open source libraries.

This is an area, if I may soapbox for a moment, in which Erlang is
conspicuously lacking and it suggests a focus area for improvement if
increasing adoption and use of Erlang is a community goal.

In includes a namedrop of Joe Armstrong for good clickbait measure.

Mark