[erlang-questions] Uniqueness Typing for Resource Management in Message-Passing Concurrency

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Thu Jul 3 12:08:09 CEST 2014

Dear All

Saw this and thought of you.

Uniqueness Typing for Resource Management in Message-Passing Concurrency
http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.5513
(submitted 2010)

Mentions erlang in passing.  Here is the abstract:

We view channels as the main form of resources in a message-passing
programming paradigm. These channels need to be carefully managed in
settings where resources are scarce. To study this problem, we extend
the pi-calculus with primitives for channel allocation and deallocation
and allow channels to be reused to communicate values of different
types. Inevitably, the added expressiveness increases the possibilities
for runtime errors. We define a substructural type system which combines
uniqueness typing and affine typing to reject these ill-behaved programs.

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy

                     ivan@REDACTED