[erlang-questions] [ANN] Rivus - Erlang Complex Event Processing

Vassil Kolarov vasco@REDACTED
Mon Jan 6 11:06:28 CET 2014

Hi Darach,

Thank you for your elaborated post!

Frankly speaking, this project was started by pure curiosity rather than a
necessity. That is why I announced it in this early stage (may be a bit
prematurely) – to gather opinions and ideas.

Data parallelism on a single query is out of scope (for now). I was more
concerned about “scaling out” scenario, but surely this is something to
think about.

The main goal was to have the ability to execute operations over multiple
event streams, where each stream contains a single event type. Currently,
only “implicit joins” are supported in the form of “select…. from event1,
event2 where event1.paramX = event2.paramX”. That is why I am using ETS
(actually provided by “folsom”). I gave it some thinking, but failed to
find how to join multiple streams without a temporary storage. On the other
hand – if there are no joins in the query, it can be done without using
ETS, simply by updating aggregations on the fly, as the event arrives. That
is exactly what I am working on at the moment.

Btw, my background in the CEP theory is minimal (something I plan to catch
up on), do the above-mentioned stream “joins” qualify as “stream
combinators”?

My immediate plans are to extend the DSL with:

- “Named windows” (similar to ESPER ones) – basically a new streams, each
one built from a query result, which can be used by other queries.

- Defining the events, so that event behaviour (event1.erl and event2.erl
in the test suite) to be generated automatically

- Event patterns over streams and named windows

- Batch (trigger result on specific time intervals) and tumbling (trigger
result on specific number of inputs) windows

I’ll definitely think about using eep-erl and beam-erl J

Thank you again!

Best regards,

Vasco