[erlang-questions] byte_size/1 vs variable access

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed Feb 26 13:42:29 CET 2014

Thanks.

Is there any optimization when it's done inside a function clause guard?
For example say, 5 of my 6 clauses need to check byte_size(Bin) to
decide what to do. I am reading some code I wrote a few days ago and I
see I instinctively used a single clause, creating a variable to hold
the size and then used a if inside it. Perhaps the compiler is doing
something about it in this case?

I know it doesn't matter 99% of the time, but I got one or two modules
that deal with binaries where the smallest improvement means I can
handle a bunch more traffic. To be honest it would be really nice if the
compiler would automatically create a variable when it sees me use
byte_size/1 more than once as I can then stop writing all this extra
code. And I'm guessing it could probably do the same with length/1 and
others.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu