[erlang-questions] Erlang and syntax.

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Sat Feb 22 12:43:42 CET 2014

Erlang is made to be boring. Boring means that it needs to be brain dead easy to comprehend. Brain dead easy means no macros. Given the premise of the absence of macros, why should the language use S-expressions and be homoiconic?

Why do you need to change the AST? That sounds like a constructed need from a bored developer looking for a problem. If you want better parse transforms, help me finish brackets for 19.0.

	https://github.com/nox/otp/commit/brackets

I don’t see how could you compare C++ and Java to Erlang, certainly not on the front of syntax. Erlang is a tiny language.

So to get back to the first question: because macros do not promote explicitness.

Regards,

--
Anthony Ramine