[erlang-questions] What problem are we trying to solve here? [was Erland users group [was re: languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]]]

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Tue Feb 18 13:53:09 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Kenji Rikitake wrote:
> A practical issue: uploading to GitHub is *painfully slow*
> (< 200kbytes/sec)

In one go with no retry or resume?

Is it the same on different .jp networks?

> (I once had to upload 40GB and that was a four-day work from Japan. :-/)
>
> Another issue I've seen: git-tagging itself won't automatically
> resolve the conflict issues. Quite often you need to tag on an
> individual commit for "stashing" the later commits as a workaround.
>
> Git is OK. I even use it at home with gitosis. Maybe in some cases
> Mercurial, or even svn, would be more appropriate.
>
> I think depending on GitHub is not good, though.

I've said it before in another package repo discussion, but I'd like
to second the opinion that making use of a mirror network is crucial.
Reliability and distributed availability are very important. According
to mirrors.cpan.org, it is mirrored on 486 sites, and I think Erlang's
FOSS projects qualify to be distributed in a mirror network, too. For
FOSS projects it doesn't make sense to have a central package repo
operated by a commercial entity. I don't know how CPAN is maintained, but
it seems to have served them well and should be considered as
inspiration. Finally, do not underestimate the importance of having an
archive of old versions.