[erlang-questions] What problem are we trying to solve here? [was Erland users group [was re: languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]]]

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Tue Feb 18 06:14:30 CET 2014

On 18/02/2014, at 3:36 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> $ git clone git@REDACTED:anthonyrules/super-cool-repo.git
> $ cd super-cool-repo
> $ make check
> $ sudo make install

Please.  NO!  I can do this inside VirtualBox, but generally
sudo is poison.

Anything that expects people to trust an unknown makefile not
to do evil things while installing had better have some
really *serious* security and authentication on it.

One of the really great things about the R repository and
package management is that it works *without* needing any
special privileges.