[erlang-questions] "actor database" - architectural strategy question

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Mon Feb 17 22:14:44 CET 2014

You then have the choice of trying to tweak the GC with parameters to try and avoid consuming too much memory, but that only works if your throughput stays roughly the same (within what you expect), otherwise you then have to play with the GC settings again, based on a new throughput max... or, you can use a short-lived process to manipulate memory, such that the result is returned upon the short-lived process' death (the third option would be manually making garbage collection happen, which is dirty, but possible with http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html#garbage_collect-0).  So, using short-lived processes to facilitate the work of longer-lived processes is generally the solution to this problem.  Making an Erlang process is cheap, and using a short-lived process to help the GC know what memory is old, is a simple way of handling the problem.  If you use CloudI, the cloudi_service behaviour does this for you by default, when you receive service requests, with the
request_pid_uses service configuration option (http://cloudi.org/api.html#2_services_add_config_opts)... so it is part of CloudI's service abstraction.