[erlang-questions] Sharing resource types between NIFs

Sverker Eriksson sverker.eriksson@REDACTED
Mon Feb 17 14:56:30 CET 2014

Having dependences between NIF modules (or drivers) on the native code
level is not supported.
How symbols are resolved (or not) between dynamic libraries is OS
dependent (Windows).
The runtime system can not keep track of such dependencies. For example,
if module B makes a native call to a function in module A and module A
has been unloaded...VM crash (or worse).

I suggest you merge your dependent NIF code into one module. You can
still have different modules on Erlang level and have them call a
backend NIF module.

That being said... ... the scenario you describe should work in current
implementation. enif_get_resource() does not care where it is called from.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP