[erlang-questions] What problem are we trying to solve here? [was Erland users group [was re: languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]]]

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Sun Feb 16 19:28:52 CET 2014

I agree with most of what you said in your mail, except for the part I quoted.

The generic behaviours in OTP are quite usable and what you call boilerplate, I call it being explicit about what is happening. Parse transforms would just confuse the hell out of any beginner, it obfuscates code and doesn’t help.

In my opinion, e2 vs OTP all comes down to convention-over-configuration vs explicitness. I will take the explicitness anytime.

--
Anthony Ramine