[erlang-questions] languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Sun Feb 16 19:18:56 CET 2014

On 02/16/2014 12:43 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Michael Truog<mjtruog@REDACTED>  wrote:
>
>> >Erlang provides a stable
>> >distributed system development platform that provides many avenues for
>> >integration, as shown by its successes, so your complaints show your
>> >ignorance.
> Good job on smacking down my ignorant complaints. I feel chastised and
> would slink back to silent observation of Erlang's slow demise at the
> hands of people who always know better. Except, I will take the bait.
>
> Cloudi looks valiant in a tragic fashion. A 1-person project still in
> beta that uses REST as its messaging carrier. How can I count the ways
> this will fail? Anyone looking for a HTTP-based cloud will use Open
> Stack, period. Anyone smart will be thinking of new designs based on
> much cheaper distributed messaging. People broadly either embrace risk
> (then won't use this), or hate risk (then won't use this).
The only thing tragic about this conversation, so far, is your ignorance.  CloudI exchanges binary data in a way that enforces RESTful development practices.  CloudI is not HTTP-based, but instead allows you to integrate with whatever protocol you want.  If you can't bother to learn about stuff, you will have problems with any technology, not just Erlang.